T.S Eliot said those famous words many moons ago and the movie ‘Step Up’ tried really hard to bring them to life.
However, anyone going to see the movie expecting a storyline of any sort
- is severely disillusioned
- is completely unaware of the reviews
- has exceptionally high expectations
And so a gang of 4 girls decided to head out after a night out on the tiles to eat ice-cream and not use our brains while avoiding bright lights etc. ‘Step Up’ fit the bill perfectly! My ONLY condition was we had to see it in 3D as I was very keen to see how the dances would look (that was my only draw to be honest).
And this is what I walked out thinking:
- Could have made the lines punchier
- Could have made the romance between Moose and his lady loads better
- Could have NOT done so many special-effects in the dances that one thought it was all computer generated and the humans did nothing- my BIGGEST gripe about the whole thing!
On the plus side:
- Great dances
- Some cool moves- esp the little kids towards the end
- Loved the way Moose and his lady danced in the street to the tune from the ice-cream van (The song is a remix of “I Won’t Dance” in the style of Fred Astaire, done by District 78)
- Best dance was the one in the 2nd round when the Pirates danced in the water
All in all, a thumbs up if you really don’t have much else to do with your time or brain!